So, the moment you have all been waiting for...
THE TEN TRUTHS ACCORDING TO ME!!!
1) Girl Scout Cookies are dangerous. Seriously. And I don't mean dangerous like that green bean my daughter left on the floor for me to step on and potentially roll my ankle. I mean dangerous like pringles, cause once you pop, you absolutely cannot stop! I order a few boxes every year and tell myself I am doing good for the community, it's a fundraiser after all. Let's face reality folks - it's purely selfish. During the phase of my life that I call BC (Before Children and the wicked sweet tooth that developed during pregnancy), I used to savor each individual cookie only taking one bite at a time so that one cookie would last me an entire day. What a waste. Perspective has taught me that there is nothing wrong with sitting down with a good sleeve of Do-si-dos and making it count. So here's to next year's cookie batch - the sun has already set on our supply.
3) Bright pink nails really do make you happier. It's true, trust me. Gotta love the first manicure of the season.
2) Alex survived his first week at daycare! It was touch and go there for a while (for me, not him). I never allowed myself to call and check on him because I knew it would be the kiss of death if I heard him crying. I would have driven straight to that school, sprinted to his room while pushing little kids out of the way, and swooped in like a seagull catching a fish in the ocean. I have never been so productive at work as I was that first day I dropped my sweet Alex off at school to be cared for by a complete stranger (nose to the grindstone makes the time go by faster than nervously watching the clock while you bite off your beautifully manicured fingernails). At the end of the week he came home with his first piece of artwork - I was a puddle. Note that his teachers call him "The Great Alex Elliott" - love, love, love that.
4) Chemotherapy sucks. Also true, trust me. I lived the first 31 years of my life blissfully unaware of all the horrible things that other people went through in their lives and unaware of just how lucky my family was. Now that it's happening to me and my family, it really sucks. Cancer is the diagnosis but the treatment is one of the hardest parts and I hate seeing the people I love in pain, physical or emotional. I want nothing more than to take the pain away, but I can't. So, this is me giving a BIG shout out of support to two of the strongest ladies I know, Mary Brown and Beth Caracciolo. You are role models we should all strive to emulate.
5) I married Jay Pritchett from Modern Family. First of all, if you don't watch Modern Family, you should run - don't walk - to your computer and download it from itunes. Watching an episode last week, it dawned on Justin and I that he is Jay. He likes to keep things as simple as possible and not unnecessarily complicate matters with silly things like "talking." He's got amazing one-liners, also like Jay. He loves his family first and foremost and he will do anything for them. And most importantly, he married up (hehehe). Google Gloria Pritchett if you have no idea who I am talking about.
6) Amazon Prime is so worth it. Do yourself a favor and spend $79/year on an Amazon Prime subscription. Anything in the world (almost) you might want, delivered to your door in 48 hours or less - FOR FREE! We did 98% of our Christmas shopping on Amazon due to this subscription (we don't dare take 3 kids into a store at the same time). When the twins first came home, we bought formula, diapers, anything you might need to keep two babies at the same time happy, all with our Amazon Prime account. We pulled an order report for 2011 and we placed 76 orders in one year - that's getting it done!!! And we paid zero dollars in shipping. Love.
Speaking of two babies at the same time, my favorite picture of the twins of all time...
![]() |
| 6 weeks old, Thanksgiving week 2010 |
8) My family is wonderful and would do anything for me. Not a new revelation but one that is weighing heavily on my mind lately. I have a circle of supporters who want the best for me and my kids and would do anything to help me achieve my goals. My mother in law Mary (Mimi) is wonderful and thinks the world of Alex. Horse therapy is a common treatment for children with Alex's challenges and Mimi just happens to live on a farm - with horses. Lucky me. Lucky Alex.
10) March just might be the best month of the year. If you don't live in the South and are reading this blog, I hate if for you cause the weather here is awesome. I just happened to plan things so that my maternity leave with Avery fell during the month of March - nothing like a paid month off with a kid who loves to sleep during 70 degree weather. Also, people are just happier in March. And, the inaugural Mani/Pedi of the season usually happens in March. Last, but certainly not least, March Madness - I love college basketball with every fiber of my being. It's like the delicious special occasion dinner you have waited for all year that sets up the perfect dessert. What's that dessert you ask? Why, the Masters of course. Hello April...
Til next time...M


No comments:
Post a Comment