Sunday, February 19, 2012

Nostalgia...

I consider myself very fortunate to have grown up with two parents who loved me very much - I know that not all people have that gift.  Despite the fact that they divorced when I was 4, I was always surrounded by their love and it was an example that I use in my daily life with my own children.  You will learn as the posts go on that I am very close with my mom Beth and my dad Tommy (aka, Mama and Daddy - and yes, it's ok that I still call them this despite the fact that I am old). 

But this week, it's my mom that is on my mind.  I find myself reminiscing about memories we have made over the years and I am the last person who has time to sit down and think - the tornado of my life might sweep me away if I am not careful!  You ever have one of those days/weeks where everything seems to be pointing to a big blaring neon sign? 

Well this week, that sign is my Mama. 

It started off with Whitney.  You all know who I am talking about and everyone has their own opinions about her during life and now in her death.  For me however, Whitney is fond memories.  It makes me think of the 80's and I am a BIG fan of the 80's.  I love the big hair, the big colors, and the big music.  During my 80's, I grew up in an apartment off Providence road until I was 7 with my mom and my sister Audra.  We laughed and had dance parties in the living room.  We listened to Whitney, Lionel Richie, and Anita Baker and it was all good.  My sister rocked a serious bowl cut with a rat tail and it was cool.  Oh yes, for me, Whitney is good memories and thinking of those days puts a smile on my face.

Later this week, we moved my daughter Avery to a big girl bed for her 3rd birthday.  I can hardly believe it's time and part of me was sad - she is no longer a baby!  As we moved the crib out and moved the twin bed in, I realized, I haven't lived in a house with a twin bed since I was a kid.  They are so tiny but to Avery, it's the biggest thing in the world!  In that condo off Providence road I shared a room with Audra and we had two twin beds.  We fought like cats and dogs at times and the punishment was always to sit in our room together until we worked it out - the horror!  I have to be in the same room with her?  Gasp!  It's also the room where we wrestled and played so hard that she rolled off the bed and knocked a hole in the wall with her head - sorry Mama!  As I sat by myself in Avery's room today after her twin bed was all set up, I was reflective.  What an extraordinary mom I had to deal with us girls every day, what an example to set for us.  For that I am thankful.

Finally, Mama had surgery on Monday - she has breast cancer.  We found out a few weeks ago during a routine well check (this is me reminding all the people I love out there to get routine well checks, they just might save your life).  It's tough to see someone you love hurting and going through pain, especially one where the outcome is unknown.  How is it fair that this strong woman who turned me into such a good person should be burdened with this terrible disease?  Why my mama?  I have learned over the past year and a half that asking why gets you no where but more confused than when you started.  You have to put on your big girl panties and move forward focusing on one day at a time (and at the same time, allow yourself a pity party every once in a while - it's good for your soul).  So, that's what I choose to do.  And that's what Mama will do, because, she is strong and she knows it. 

A few pictures for your laughing enjoyment...

Clearly this was a "character building" moment


Big hair baby

In front of our apartment on Providence Road
Lovely Ladies!!!
 There's nothing wrong with being nostalgic about memories and you never know when it will hit you.  Some memories and days are stronger than others but it's that good feeling you get in your stomach that makes it worth the time to stop and smell the roses.  So rock on with your bad self Whitney, I wanna dance with somebody too, and this time around it's gonna be my two daughters...

Til next time...M

3 comments:

  1. Love it! I told Meredith this weekend that I had been thinking of Whitney and memories of Mama and her all week and she said she was too. Such great memories and fun times and so awesome that we both shared the same feelings.

    Now to the rat tail comment... I can't believe you mentioned the rat tail! Oh well... we all make mistakes ;)

    Love the pictures too!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love that you shared some childhood memories with us. In 1984, the beginning of the "Whitney" era I was graduating from high school and finding my way. A very long time ago.

      As you girls and your children go through all the milestones, I reflect back on moments with my 3, I miss those times already. It goes by so fast and you should definately take time to "smell the roses" with the ones you love by your side. Tam

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful honor you have given your parents thru this tribute. I enjoyed reading it very much. You are doing a great job. You truly have a talent for writing. Love, Linda

    ReplyDelete