Friday, July 20, 2012

What will you choose?

Today is my birthday!  As people get older they often times start to loathe their birthday and view it as a reminder of what comes with aging - wrinkles, aches and pains, cruel old jokes.  I have to admit, I am not one of those people!  In fact, I have always loved my birthday because it's the one day of the year where I celebrate me!!!  Through the course of each day, I am constantly doing for other people and am happy to do so, but admittedly, it's nice to have one day where I make myself a priority and it feels good! 

A running joke in my family is that fact that I am exactly 3 days older than Justin.  3 days people.  You would think I was Madonna married to my 22 year old back up dancer with the way the jokes roll around here from July 20th to the 23rd.  Everybody's a comedian.  Strange things occur like doors being opened for me because "Justin always opens doors for his elders."  Hilarious.  Although I did have to put a heating pad on my shoulder the other night because of a wicked crick in my neck....whatever.  Haters, all of em. 

Yesterday, there was a moment where I was sad about my birthday.  It dawned on me that Avery would be gone for the weekend and there would be no "family celebration."  I know, I know, silly right?  We would just celebrate on Monday when she got back.  So it passed as quickly as she does when she is running for her dessert after dinner. 

But today, my heart is full.  I am sitting here and I am almost emotional as I think of all the things I have to be thankful for.  I walked into my kitchen this morning to a surprise 7am cupcake and coffee party!  What a way to start my birthday - with laughter!  And presents!  And cupcakes!!!  My husband is wonderfully sneaky - I feel so celebrated.

The feeling of fullfillment and happiness is not unique to my birthday however, I feel it most days, and a large part of that is a conscience choice I make every day.  I have to admit, the emotional side of me has come out with a vengeance over the past year and when I let myself think about all I have, the tears start flowing.  I also believe that part of this is age, I am more aware of the fragility of life - especially as it takes me longer and longer to put my feet on the floor each morning!

I think many people would be surprised to know that I feel this way because we have been given a lot of challenges to face.  The year I turned 31, we found out about Alex and his tumor, and his eventual brain injury.  The year I turned 32, we found out both our mom's have cancer.  Here's to hoping that 33 is a bit more low key. 

I could choose to have a pity party, oh woe is me!  My life is so hard!  But is it really?  It's all about your point of view.  Our challenges with 3 kids are plentiful, but, we make a difference every day in their lives.  My job is hard because it takes me away from my family, but, it affords us the best care for Alex and I get to see some beautiful places!

My point is - MAKE A CHOICE!  Today, I just might choose another cupcake.

Til next time...M



Many people

No comments:

Post a Comment